VKA / AKA Joint Statement – Victorian Open Kart Championships

The following is a statement released by the VKA / AKA on February 19, 2009.

The Victorian Karting Association Inc (VKA) and the Australian Karting Association Inc (AKA) wish to remove any misunderstanding existing amongst karters in relation to the postponement of the 2009 Victorian Open Sprint Kart Championships.

The safety of the karting community is of paramount importance to the VKA and the AKA.

The postponement of the Championships was brought about by force majeure caused by the horrific bushfires and the resultant and tragic loss of life in Victoria.

On the preceding Saturday and the Sunday information available from emergency service organisations was quite limited and at the time it was thought that there was no immediate threat to the event. No-one, at the time, was in a position to anticipate the scale of the tragedy that was to unfold.

As information became available the situation was reviewed and this review led to the proper decision being made to postpone the event. The authority for such decision comes from Rule 11.09 of the 2009 Australian Karting Manual. In all of the circumstances, the AKA unconditionally supports the decision made by the VKA.

Any competitor seeking a refund of entry and tyre fees should contact the VKA via email on vka@bigpond.net.au or phone on 03 5449 6362.

Whilst the VKA and the AKA regret any inconvenience caused to karters, it cannot and will not compromise the safety of competitors, pit crew, officials and the general public.

The VKA will be selecting a date to reschedule the Event to during its next State Karting Council meeting, to be held this evening (February 19), and will announce the chosen date tomorrow (February 20).

Victorian Karting Open Championships

The Victorian Karting Association (VKA) would like to advise members of the Australian karting community that they are currently working on a rescheduled date for the postponed 2009 Victorian Open Sprint kart Championships.

The Event, originally scheduled for this weekend at the Hume International Raceway in Puckapunyal, was postponed earlier this week due to the disastrous bushfires in the region.

The VKA will be selecting a date to reschedule the Event to during its next State Karting Council meeting, to be held next Thursday evening (February 19), and will announce the chosen date next Friday (February 20).

If any competitor is looking to receive a refund on their entry fee and money paid for tyres prior to the announcement of when the Event will be rescheduled, they should email vka@bigpond.net.au with their name, address and class with a request to do so.

Victorian Tragic Fires

We extend our deepest sympathy and sorrow to Dennis Spooner and his son Warwick for the tragic loss of their wife and mother Marilyn and son and brother Damien.

Victorian Fire Victims Appeal

The Oakleigh Go Kart Club will hold a night practice this Saturday the 14th of February, 2009.

The cost will be $10 per kart. There will also be a BBQ and all money collected on the night will be donated to the Victorian fire victims.

This is a cause that we all need to help, as these fires have affected so many people of this state in one way or another.

Victorian Open Championships Postponed

The Executive of the Victorian Karting Association (VKA) has decided to postpone this weekend’s Victorian Open Sprint Kart Championships, scheduled for the Hume International Raceway in Puckapunyal, because of the fire conditions in surrounding areas.

The decision is one that was not made lightly, but has been made in the best interests of the safety of AKA members and the local communities.

Considering the high level of demand for resources, especially the emergency services, within the region to assist those who have been affected combined with a number of road closures still in place and the pressure being placed on accommodation houses, the VKA Executive believe that the decision is in the best interest of the sport and the region.

VKA President David Murray said,

It is unfortunate that we have had to postpone this weekend’s Event, however, I’m sure all members would agree that at this point in time the support for the victims of the bushfires is the most important issue.

The Eastern Lions Kart Club have worked tirelessly to prepare for this Event and it is inopportune we have had to make this decision.

The safety of the karters and the communities surrounding Puckapunyal needs to be our number one priority.

The Club had the full support of the Mitchell Shire Mayor to run the Event and Puckapunyal hasn’t been directly affected by the bushfires, however, it is more the people and the surrounding towns that needs to be taken into account.

Until today, the full extent of the impact of having a large number competitors in the region wasn’t fully known. Given that there is now over 5,000 people homeless added to the death toll and a number of road closures still in place, we have a community responsibility to uphold not to take up resources that could be better used by helping those affected.

We sincerely apologise to those competitors who have travelled interstate to attend this Event but I’d hope that everyone understands that this decision is not one that has been made lightly and is in the best interest of the sport.

The VKA and the ELKC would like to encourage all members to support the bushfire relief funds throughout the country as their thoughts and prayers go out to those who have been affected by this tragedy.

A rescheduled date will be advised for the Event when appropriate.